Inside this section:

Communication and Interaction

Previous Page

Catherine Berrill: Specialist Speech and Language Therapist

Maria Piatelli: SENCO

Tom Maltby: Deputy Head for Inclusion

Maggie Bailey: Head Teacher

1. How does Grey Court School know if my child needs extra help? 

Grey Court staff understands age-related expectations and have access to on-going support and training in the identification and provision for students with SEN.
The following processes are in place at Grey Court School to monitor students’ communication and interaction:
· Cognitive attainment tests (CATS)
· Teacher assessment
· Tracking of progress
· Reading and spelling assessments in year 7
· Information gathered during transition meetings with primary schools
We will know if a student needs extra help if concerns are raised by a teacher due to an unexpected fall in progress or failure to make expected progress. Concerns are passed to the Head of Faculty and/or Form Tutor who will carry out an initial investigation and discuss with the SENCO as appropriate .
If there are concerns, the school will monitor and support the student through adapting teaching and, if appropriate, the student will receive additional provision. The parents/carers may be asked to meet with the school to discuss and plan appropriate support. Support from an outside agency may be requested for example the educational psychologist.
1b. What is not SEN?
Persistent disruptive or withdrawn behaviours do not necessarily mean that a student has SEN. Where there are concerns, the school will assess to determine if there are any causal factors. Slow progress or low attainment does not necessarily mean that a student has SEN and will not automatically lead to a student being recorded as having SEN. Although English as an Additional Language (EAL) is not SEN it is sometimes the case that a student with EAL may also have SEN.
1c. Application for statutory assessment
Very occasionally a student on the SEN register will require a significantly higher level of support. In this case the school will have made extensive provision from all available resources. The SENCO and/or the Deputy Head for inclusion will make a joint decision with the educational psychologist and parents to decide whether a referral for a coordinated assessment process is needed.
2. What should I do if I think my child may have a special educational need or disability?
If you are concerned about your child’s communication and interaction you should either contact your child’s form tutor, teacher or Head of Faculty in the first instance. Continuing concerns will then be referred to the SENCO using the Speech and Language Referral Form. (Link to referral form).
3. How will I know how Grey Court School supports my child? 
Parents will be informed by the school if their child has a Special Educational Need and if they are to be put on the school’s SEN register. Appropriate, bespoke support for each student will be discussed with the parent. The following are examples of the support that could be offered.
Grey Court has a Speech and Language provision to support children with a communication need. On referral to the Speech and Language therapy service, your child’s needs will be assessed through informal and standardised assessment and observations in the classroom setting. Information will also be carried over from primary school interventions.
Your child may receive the following support:
· The main focus of support will be in the classroom in applying strategies to be used within the teaching setting
· 1:1 therapy sessions with the speech and language therapist or speech and Language assistant supervised by the therapist
· Group therapy sessions, for example: social skills
· Pre-teaching vocabulary sessions in morning registration time with a learning support assistant
· Teaching from school staff who have access to support and training from a speech and language therapist
· Teacher around Child meetings for individual students; when appropriate parents are invited to contribute the meeting
· Advice and support for teachers from the Speech and Language Therapist, specialist LSAs and from the SENCO linked to the student’s IEP. Handwriting intervention
· Gardening Club
· Use of Laptops in lessons where there is a significant amount of writing
· Personalised timetables
· Film Club at lunch-time
· Homework Club Mon-Thurs 3.00-3.45
· Access arrangements KS3-KS4
     · Pre-teaching sessions during registration
     · Support from LSAs during exams to provide extra time, readers, scribes.
     · Modified Language papers
· An expectation that every teacher adapts and or modifies the curriculum according to the suggestions in the Individual Education Plans. These documents are available on the school information system and are in every teacher’s Planner (Link to IEP document)
· Additional support may also be sought from outside agencies where appropriate and may include a request for Educational Psychologist involvement
4a. How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs? 
The Speech and Language provision supports students who have a communication need, to attend a mainstream school. Support is given in the classroom setting through the use of taught strategies and LSA support. If interventions are required your child may be withdrawn from classes to attend 1:1 therapy sessions.
Learning is personalised for all students and the learning environment is inclusive and stimulating. (Strategic Intent 4)
Whole class teaching is adapted to meet individual needs through:
Planning - Tasks are adapted and differentiated to allow students to better understand or participate. An example of an adapted task might be to give vocabulary learning as homework.
Delivery - The teacher will use a range of good inclusive strategies and will adopt strategies and differentiated materials which have been identified as useful for individual and groups. An example of a differentiated approach might be to allow a student to take active breaks in a lesson to aid concentration.
Marking – The teacher will use the school marking policy (Link to school marking policy in Assessment Policy) which informs, supports and involves the student in evaluating and developing their learning.
Equipment – General equipment and tools will be used in the environment for particular lessons to support the student’s participation and learning. Any modifications to equipment will be identified in an Individual Education Plan. Link to IEP document
Support - The teacher will plan groupings and adult support.
Support from LSAs - Students who require support from learning support assistants will receive support either in the classroom or when appropriate out of the classroom. The type of support is agreed through the LSA/Teacher Agreement Document and is monitored by the SENCO. Link to LSA/Teacher Agreement document
Organisation in response to need – Whole school and class organisation supports individual students through ability groupings.
Students on the SEN Register in KS4 are tested for access arrangements.Access arrangements include extra time in exams, use of a reader or scribe in exams, use of a word processor in exams, modified papers or a prompter in exams.
Additional support for KS3 students with SEN taking exams.
4b. Is my child taught in attainment based groups?
During their first year at the school, students are taught in a mixture of class and attainment based groups. We concentrate on developing competency skills, alongside encouraging social groupings within the tutor group. At the start of Year 8 further setting by attainment is introduced. By Year 9 the majority of subjects are taught in attainment-based sets. From Year 10 students join our personalised programme which is tailored to individual needs and allows students to access up to 13 GCSE subjects.
5. How will I know how my child is doing? 
The school will meet with parents of students with SEN at least three times a year. These meetings will include academic tutoring appointments, parents’ evenings and 1:1 appointments with the SENCO.
If your child is referred to the Speech and Language provision the Speech and Language Therapist will complete a case history with parents/carers, after which an assessment will take place. If intervention is required parents/carers will be notified and targets set and discussed.
Parents/carers receive reports on progress and if a child no longer requires continued support from the provision a discharge report will be sent out to parents/carers with details of targets meet and recommendations for any future support, if required.
5b. How will I know how my child is doing?
Typical opportunities to meet with parents are as follows for all years
Years 7-11: Parent Information Evening, Parents Evening, Academic Tutoring Day
In year 7 parents and children are invited to ‘Book Look’. This is an opportunity for parents to look at their child’s exercise book and receive their first progress check.
In year 11 parents are invited by the SENCO to receive support on how to support their child with exams.
Parents/carers can meet the SENCO to discuss progress. Individual appointments can be made by emailing or by telephoning  the SENCO.
6. How will you help me to support my child’s learning?
The Speech and Language Provision works in partnership with parents/carers. The Speech and Language Therapist is available to provide advice and organise training workshops for parents/carers, to support parents/carers to develop an understanding of:
· communication development
· how to identify difficulties
· general tips on supporting
good communication skills in the home.
· When and how to request a referral
The Speech and Language Therapist can also provide advice on the referral process for children to other agencies if appropriate.
7. What support will there be for my child’s overall well-being? 
Every adult at Grey Court School is responsible for the overall well-being of students at Grey Court School.In addition we offer the following support:
· Form tutors
· Student Support Officers (SSOs)
· Phase Leaders
· LSA 1-1 support during registration for students with statements/EHCP
· Student Support Centre learning mentors
· Resilience Programmes
· Social skills groups
· Support at lunch time in Newman House Film Club
· Speech and language specialist
· School Nurse
· Education welfare officer
· School counsellors
· SENCO led student forum
· Leadership team –Deputy Head for Inclusion Tom Maltby, Child Protection Officer Vicki Price – Associate Head)
· Educational Psychology Service
· Multi-agency team for vulnerable pupils MATVP
· Relaxation groups for students taking exams
· Multi-agency intervention
· CPSHE days are built into the curriculum and promote equality for all students in the school
· Regular assemblies with themes on diversity and tolerance.
The school has a commitment to using restorative justice to resolve conflicts that may arise between students and students and teachers.
8. What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the school?
Grey Court School provides a Speech and Language Enhanced Provision to support students with communication needs.
Within the SEN Faculty Team the teachers have specialisms in Dyslexia, Speech and Language, EAL and Autism. They also have considerable experience in teaching children with dyspraxia, dyscalculia, ADD, ADHD, sensory impairments, sensory integration difficulties, speech and language difficulties, social interaction difficulties, and social, emotional and mental health difficulties. The Learning Support Assistants have had extensive experience and training in working with children with general learning difficulties, Dyslexia, Autism, Sensory Impairments, ADHD, Dyspraxia, Dyscalculia and behavioural difficulties.
Support from outside agencies include:
· Educational Psychology Service
· Educational Welfare Service
· School Nurse
· Child & Adolescent Mental Health Service
· Careers service
· Social Care
· Sensory Support Service
· Medical tuition service 
Student Support Officers are highly experienced in supporting students with social, emotional and mental health needs. They work closely with the SEN Faculty and Student Support Centre (SSC) to support the learning of pupils throughout the school.
SSC involvement with the students provides individual screening, assessment and valuable 1:1 intervention and ends with support for final exams and work with colleges to which students will transfer.
Newman House also has a designated learning support assistant who designates two days supporting students with their work in colleges through the wide a range of vocational courses now available.
· Social Services and related teams Support from outside agencies include:
· Educational Psychology Service
9. What training do staff supporting children and young people with SEND have?
The Speech and Language teacher and most Learning Support Assistants have completed an ELKAN training course in providing support to students aged 11-16 with speech, language and communication needs.
Newly qualified teachers receive training sessions with the SENCO and the Speech and Language Therapist.
Training for teaching students with special educational needs is considered essential. There is on-going training in teaching and supporting students
In addition there is regular training in:
· child protection
· First Aid
· outstanding teaching
Specific training for the SEN
Faculty Team includes:
· speech and language
· supporting students with access arrangements
· diagnostic assessment
· behavioural strategies
We currently have specialist teachers in Specific Learning Difficulties and Speech and Language. 
10. How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom, including school trips?
Students with communication and interaction needs are supported and encouraged to be fully involved in all areas of school life. Clubs and trips are open to them and individual arrangements are planned in advance to ensure that they are able to participate.
For students with communication and interaction needs individual issues may be discussed with parents/carers, and student support officer.
As part of the Speech and Language provision, Social Skills groups are offered, during lunchtimes, to help develop social skills and friendships.
Vulnerable students attending school trips will attend with the support of their keyworker or a learning support assistant, in addition to the teacher leading the trip.
We will ensure reasonable adjustments are made.
11. How accessible is the school environment? 
· Students (and staff/visitors) are able to navigate easily around school
· Students (staff/visitors) with wheelchairs can access ground floor of school.
· Identified students are safe and have a clearly recognised set of procedures to meet their needs in case of fire.
· Proper lighting is provided to walkways contributes to making the school site a safer and more secure environment.
· All parts of the school have “friendly access” via properly maintained paved walkways and the provision of paving to those areas where it is needed.
(Link to Grey Court School Equalities Policy 2010-2013)
12. How will the school prepare and support my child when joining Grey Court School or transferring to a new school or post-16 provision?
· At Grey Court School we work closely with the educational settings used by the students before they transfer to us in order to seek the information that will make the transfer as seamless as possible. The Assistant Head, Student Support Officer and SENCO attend transition meetings with primary schools to collect information about students in year 6 on the SEN register and students with additional pastoral needs.
· At Grey Court School Year 6 students are invited to take Cognitive Attainment Tests (CATS). The tests take place on a Saturday morning in May. Students who need additional reassurance or guidance are offered to take the tests in the library. The tests are followed by an afternoon of sports activities.
· Before transition each student is invited with their family to meet a member of the leadership team. This is an opportunity to discuss tutor group friendships and to discuss student, parents/carers and school responsibilities and expectations.
· Students who may need additional support will be invited to a small tea party in Newman House. This is an opportunity to meet other students and to ask questions and watch a presentation by Year 7 students. Teaching assistants from students’ primary schools are also invited.
· On Induction Day year 6 students attend an Induction Day at Grey Court School for taster lessons and to meet form tutors, student support officer and Head of Year. Additional visits are welcomed by appointment with the SENCO or student support officer.
· Parents are invited to a Parent Information Evening in which a series of workshops are delivered on aspects of the school including SEN, progress tracking, pastoral support and the curriculum.
· Students who join Grey Court mid-year, receive the same attention to ensure they have a successful transition. Previous schools are contacted to collect information about students’ academic, SEN and pastoral needs. Students and parents/carers will meet with Student Support Officers to ensure that where there are recognised needs, the appropriate assessments and interventions are put into place. Where there is an identified SEN need, the SENCO will contact parents for a meeting so that additional information can be incorporated into an IEP.
· If your child has been recognised as having a communication need and allocated support from the Speech and Language provision they will attend a brief induction group. Information from other professionals including previous Speech and Language assessments and reports will be carried over from primary school. Any assessments and reports completed at Grey Court will be shared with other professionals if your child moves to a new provision or on leaving to attend a post 16 provision, if appropriate.
· We also contribute information to a students’ onward destination by providing information to the next academic setting.
Students in sixth form who have a special educational need are supported by the SEN Faculty. The support is suitably tailored to meet the learning needs of each student.
13. How are the school’s resources allocated and matched to children’s special educational needs?
Statements of SEN/EHCP have funding attached. The amount of funding is decided by the borough in which the student resides and this is determined by the degree of need. The school can apply for an increase of funding through the annual review process including holding an interim review to request additional funding. If the annual review meeting supports a request for a change in funding then and application will be made to the relevant borough.
Support for students who have Education Health Care Plans/Statements of Special Educational Needs
EHCPs/Statements frequently specify the number of LSA hours that a student will receive. LSA support is usually provided in lessons, however when it is deemed appropriate the SEN Faculty will use the support strategically to meet the individual needs of the student. This could be:
Literacy interventions from a specialist SEN teacher or from a specialist LSA outside of the classroom to teach skills which are essential in enabling students to engage more successfully in class lessons.
Skills taught in all interventions will be monitored carefully to ensure each student is transferring new skills to their subject lessons.
Support in class to measure progress and impact of interventions
Impact reports
Advice to subject teachers from the SEN team
EAL interventions
Speech, language and communication interventions
Spelling interventions
Tutoring in maths and English
Half termly one to one sessions with students to set and review targets on IEPs
Speech and Language therapy
Handwriting interventions
Lunchtime support
An intervention for literacy twice weekly 

14. How are decisions made about how much and what support my child will receive?

The needs of each student on the SEN Register are very carefully reviewed and considered for the coming year. This information is placed on the Provision Map which informs our timetabling and budgeting. In this way, we endeavour to address the needs of each individual with a specific programme of support and teaching.
The amount of support a child will receive from the speech and language provision will depend on the outcome of an assessment carried out by the Speech and Language Therapist.
Additional SEN support can be offered to any student who has a learning difficulty or disability which calls for special educational provision to be made for them. High quality teaching that is differentiated and personalised will meet the individual needs of the majority of students. However students may need additional provision that is additional to or different from this. This is special educational provision under Section 21 of the Children and Families Act 2014. We use our best endeavours to ensure that such provision is made for those who need it. Special educational provision is always underpinned by high quality teaching.
Where students are withdrawn from lessons this is set within clearly defined parameters with the focus being on supporting achievement in mainstream achievement. Interventions are time limited; impact of the intervention is assessed using the Code of Practice Assess, Plan, Do, Review Model.
The needs of students with social, emotional and mental health needs are carefully monitored by Student Support Officers. They will complete referral forms to the SSC or other agencies stating clearly what the aims of the withdrawal or interventions are. SSOs will decide what support students’ need through meetings with students, parents/carers and through the inclusion meeting forum. PhaseLeaders and SSO will also consult with HOF when relevant
SSO and PL will evaluate the impact of the Student Support Centre (SSC) and multi-agency providers through monitoring of re-integration back to class. Learning mentors will log progress made with students and provide this information to the student support officer (SSO) as part of this procedure. SSOs will also seek feedback on the impact of interventions from parents/carers.
There is a strong ethos regarding ‘student voice’ in the school and the views of students are considered when decisions are made about their support. 
15. How will I be involved in discussions about and planning for my child’s education?
All students in the school have regular reports and an annual parents evening for each year group. There are also regular meetings for parents to inform them about events for relevant year groups. These include, for example:
Year 7 Induction Evening
Year 9 Option Evening
Year 10/11 Study Skills
Parents may also contact any of their child’s teachers directly using the email address given on the school website.
If your child has SEN he/she will be placed on the SEN Register and you will be invited to discuss provision to address the special educational needs. Your child will be given an IEP. The IEP is usually written with you and/or with your child. It contains information about your child’s special educational needs, appropriate provision and interventions and advice for teaching staff.
In addition students with a statement of SEN, or Education, Health and Care Plan will have a multi-professional annual review which looks carefully at progress towards the learning objectives.
For students who access the Enhanced Provision for SLCN, a case history is obtained from parents/carers once a referral to the speech and language provision has been made. Parents /carers can contact the speech and language therapist to receive advice on how to best support their child’s learning. Parents receive reports following therapy and interventions.
Parents may also contact the appropriate student support officer and phase leader to discuss any individualised provisions that are required to ensure good social, emotional and mental wellbeing.
16. Who can I contact for further information or if I have a complaint?

Catherine Berrill: Specialist Speech and Language Therapist
Maria Piatelli: SENCO
Tom Maltby: Deputy Head for Inclusion
Maggie Bailey: Head Teacher